Thursday, August 19, 2010

First Ever Post- yay!!!

Wow, this is a first for moi. 


Blogging is a new venture for me and like most things, I guess I will have some teething problems along the way, but I'm pretty sure I'll get the hang of things -eventually!


Okay, first things first. I write, and that is predominately what I do! I write Urban Fantasy Books for both YA and adults! My first book, In The Shadows, is the first in a series of books from The Shadow World series and I have to admit, it has been hard work and up until now I was completely blind-sighted by the glitz and glamour of the publishing world (slight use of sarcasm there).


It has been without a doubt an almost perilous journey having my manuscript fine tuned, read, re-read, edited, and copy edited to an inch of its life and here I sit, telling you all about it. I almost gave up and sat back, feeling the sting of rejection, but as one wise old soul said, 'A rejection is nothing more than a necessary step in the pursuit of success.' So here goes, I refuse to give in in the face of adversity and in my case the literary world better watch out!


I am glad to say, that I have received some amazing support from friends, family and complete strangers and I know that my work is without a doubt publishable! And having done some serious research, I found it startling to see the amount of authors (pretty famous ones) were rejected and had their work panned!


Some examples below:


 "The girl doesn't, it seems to me, have a special perception or feeling which would lift that book above the 'curiosity' level." One Rejection aimed at, The Diary of Anne Frank.


"I'm sorry, Mr. Kipling, but you just don't know how to use the English language." Editor of the San Francisco Examiner to Rudyard Kipling.


H.G. Wells had to endure the indignity of a rejection when he submitted his manuscript, "The War of the Worlds" that said, "An endless nightmare. I do not believe it would "take"...I think the verdict would be 'Oh don't read that horrid book'. "And when he tried to market "The Time Machine," it was said, "It is not interesting enough for the general reader and not thorough enough for the scientific reader."


Ernest Hemingway, regarding his novel, "The Torrents of Spring" was rejected with, "It would be extremely rotten taste, to say nothing of being horribly cruel, should we want to publish it." Pretty harsh, huh!


As you can see, this industry is pretty cut throat, but I'm a gambler and even more so, I have alot of fight in me!


So watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment